10 key steps for effective problem solving
- Clarify the Problem
- Define the scope by understanding knowns and unknowns
- Gather information and identify constraints
- Investigate Root Causes of the problem and test for relevance
- Identify and develop solutions
- Evaluate Solutions against your key decision criteria
- Decide on one or more solutions
- Validate with key stakeholders
- Plan and Implement the solution
- Follow-up, measure expected benefits, and collect feedback
- Does the problem depict the current situation accurately?
- Can we measure the gap between where we are and where we want to be?
- What is the stakeholder perception about the problem?
- Can the hypotheses be tested? (surveys, interviews, process flows, pareto analyses, etc.)
- Have you considered alternate scenarios?
- Is the cause of the is within your sphere of influence?
Designing the Solution
- Design the solution when considering needs vs. wants, long-term vs. short-term impact, interim steps, risks and costs
- Develop solutions using Brainstorming, Benchmarking, Best practices, and various modeling techniques
- Ask 5 x Whys